Brad Wardell's views about technology, politics, religion, world affairs, and all sorts of politically incorrect topics.
Published on January 23, 2012 By Draginol In Mobile Tech

There’s been a lot of talk about the New York Times article on why Iphones are made in china.

If you haven’t read it, you can find the article here.

I was reading comments on Slashdot and it was apparent that most of them didn’t read the article. They assumed it was all because of “cheap labor”.

According to the article, it has more to do with the type of expertise that is readily available there – lots of people with mid level technical knowledge (i.e. people with say 2 year degree equivalents) that tend to get poo-pooed here in the US.

One thing that I found interesting was the number of people who place the blame on Apple for making these choices even as Americans outsource every day when they purchase products that say clearly “Made in China”.


Comments (Page 7)
on Feb 17, 2012

Chasbo...you missed my sarcastic witticism, din'cha....

on Feb 17, 2012

Chasbo
The middle class, the 99%, loses out in that equation but the 1% profits handsomely.

I believe your numbers are off a tad.

on Feb 17, 2012

k10w3

I marvel every day at what it costs in this country to get a job.  When I was going to grade school, over half of my teachers didn't have actual college degrees--they had a 2-year teaching certificate they got at the regional teacher's school; now you have to have at least a bachelor's degree for that.  My late sister was an RN before she got sick and she got her degree at a 2-year technical school...now you have to have a bachelor's degree for that.  The job I'm doing now, (although it certainly doesn't pay what it did) I got into with just a high school degree, now you have to have an associate's degree and 2 year's of acute care experience just to make 6-cents-a-line.  Why are we demanding this sort of education AND experience, rather than giving out on-the-job training anymore?  The trend is for less government, and that equals less education, which ends up being more outsourcing to countries that provide either free or inexpensive education for THEIR people. 

This is not working for us--a person shouldn't have to get into thousands of dollars worth of debt just to get a job. 

agreed

on Feb 17, 2012

Chasbo

The middle class, the 99%, loses out in that equation but the 1% profits handsomely.

 

Its more like the lower 30% lose no matter what, the middle 69% are slowly combining with the lower 30% to become the lower 99%.

Although I'm sure at least 10% or so will retain that 'middle class feel'

Meta
Views
» 25094
Comments
» 94
Category
Sponsored Links