My son and I did our first inspection of our two new hives. Hive 1 looks pretty good with lots of capped brood and we found a healthy queen running around. Hive 2, on the other hand, seems a lot less populated and we couldn't find the queen. Only 3 of the frames in Hive 2 are drawn with comb (about 5 are drawn in hive 1).
Hive 2 was so tame that I was able to work with it without smoking the bees or a head net on.
Hive 2 has some drone cells, couldn't find the queen.
Hive 2 (the one I couldn't find a queen) does have some capped brood.
Hive 1 has a healthy queen and a lot of capped brood in a nice pattern.
The point of the first inspection is to see how well the hives are doing. Do they have a queen? Any diseases? Is there capped brood? I didn't get stung and in fact it was a lot easier than I thought. It was the first time I'd ever used a smoker. I waited 9 days from the time I got the starter hives to do the inspection in order to give them time to settle in. I plan to do another inspection next weekend depending on the weather to see how hive 2 is progressing (I probably won't mess with hive 1 since it's clearly doing fine).
This week I should also be receiving a Nuc from the SEMBA President (who's also a Canton police officer which is pretty cool). I don't know how many hives I'll have eventually. If I could, I'd go with 4 or 5 hives total for this year.
I was surprised how much I sweated doing this. The bee hat stuff really makes the sweat go. But for now, I was just thankful I didn't get stung.